Ever So Slightly Off Topic

Posted by joyousjess , Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:17 AM


Although this is a little off topic, Kaleidoscopic (meaning many colors) Zeal (addiction or passion) can be made of so much more that just one type of art. Being a rockin' tie dye blog is goal numero uno! But seeing as art is so multifaceted and the fact that I love to explore different hobbies, on occasion I will have other genres to post. :)

So, first of all: My Mom rocks!! I just turned 20 a week ago and this is what she got me for my birthday!! When I was about 12ish I use to sew all the time on my Nana's sewing machine. I made purses and clothes for my dog, and for a kid it was actually kind of good! And since I made a tie dye dress out of tshirts (by hand), I was anxious to make something else from scratch! But- not so anxious to take a million years doing it by hand. And being the wonderful mom that she is, she's the reason I have added yet another (yes, another) hobby to my list. :)


After she gave me the sewing machine, I ran to a local fabric store and bought the most colorful stuff I could find! I brainstormed, took measurements, and came up with a good idea what would soon be my dress. I did not use any patterns, in fact I don't think I would know what to do with one if it were ever given to me! I prefer to construct my own game plan. :)


This is one of the first peices I put together for my dress- a pocket! Yes Kicker, a pocket :)


I added some elastic to the striped band above, that way the dress would be easier to get on and off. The hardest part of this dress was definitally the bust area. Sheesh, who knew these girls would be so picky about what they wear! :P



Here it is after each individual piece had been hemmed. Now all I had to do was put it all together!



This is the top part of the dress sewn together. & May I have a drumroll, please...




Totally worth the patience!!! I have practically lived in dresses this summer and since the tshirt dress I had made was already pre-hemmed.. I am very proud to add my very first 100% handmade dress to my wardrobe! I am wearing it to a play tomorrow!!


Stay tuned...

My Dad and Step Mom also got me a BEAUTIFUL white dress to tie dye for my birthday!

-AND-

I have more fabric waiting to be transformed into another dress!! :)




2 Response to "Ever So Slightly Off Topic"

Veronica Says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Jessi that is beautiful!! You definitely have your Nana's talent for sewing! I cannot wait to see it in person! I love you!!

Veronica Says:

AND...you need to add that you did all that without a pattern...you amaze me. I am so proud of the beautiful young woman you have become.

Post a Comment